Sunday, March 25, 2012

Trip to the Zoo




A turtle at the zoo.
On March 14 I took my 1st graders to the zoo for a field trip. I took my kids last year and they loved it and I wanted my first graders this year to have the chance to take a fun field trip. My first graders this year are also really interested by animals so I knew that they would be able to see and learn a lot. It was a beautiful and sunny day when we went and the kids kept saying that it was the best day ever! I also had 12 parent volunteers which was wonderful since I only have 20 kids. It made it easy for everyone to enjoy the day while making sure the kids were safe. When we first got to the zoo we took a class picture, from there the lady who works at the zoo took us around the zoo and talked/fed the animals. The kids enjoyed watching the animals be fed and to see different kinds of animals. The zoo is a small zoo but it has a leopard, lion, monkeys, lizards, pigs, guinea pigs, rabbits, ducks, emus, and a baby bobcat. After this part the kids were able to feed the guinea pigs with carrots. They loved this part! From there the kids played on the playground and were able to see the animals they wanted to look at longer. The only downside of the trip was the Fish and Wildlife people usually come and talk about the brown tree snake and the kids are able to touch and see the tree snake. Without this the field trip was cut shorter than expected. All in all it was fun to see my kids enjoy their time at the zoo, feed the animals, and enjoy being able to do hands on learning. One of the God moments for me on this trip was that one of the parents paid for my entrance fee since I would have had to pay to get in. It was such a blessing!

Students looking at the turtles.


The whole class before we started!

Watching the monkeys being fed.

Watching the monkeys.



The students looking at the deer.

Students and parents.

Pigs.

A student with an animal.
Two students feeding guinea pigs.

A student feeding a guinea pig.

A really cool looking animal.

An exhibit where the kids could be the animals in the zoo.
Two students hanging out.

Students at the playground.

Swinging.

A student looking at the guinea pigs.

Silly faces!
It was a great time and it was worth all of the time spent organizing the trip.
Hope you enjoyed the pics!  My students ask when will I take them on another field trip and I said that I only do one a year:)
-Kara-

2 comments: