Thursday, May 5, 2011

Saipan Update from Grant





Dear Friends, Family, and Readers:

Kara has told me it is time for me to blog about my experiences with the play "The Three Musketeers" that was put on by the community organization Friends of the Arts (FOA). I met many locals who are now fond acquaintances that I can say hi to and talk with when I run in to them on the island. I originally heard of the play and the need for actors from Harold (Hal) Easton, a teacher, at Marianas High School (MHS). Since I am a National Junior Forensic League (NJFL)coach, I was on his e-mail list. I mulled it over for a while and was about to give up on the idea when I found out that friends of ours, members of the Kyonka Family, would be performing in the play I felt it would be a good way to get involved in the community. I enjoyed performing in the play as a main character, which I had never done before.
In high school I was too involved with music to be involved in school plays. I did act as the trombonist in the high school musical "Babes in Arms" that East High School put on, but I secretly wanted to act. A high school friend of mine, Frank Sjodin, was always in play productions and once recruited me to play the role of a troll in one of the plays, but I didn't feel I could swing it at the time while taking Anatomy with Mr. Dahlquist.
Anyway, I was surprised at how well I could remember my lines never having done a play before in my life. I had acted in skits at Bible camp as "Normy", but that is not even close to being a main character in a longer production. Our production of The Three Musketeers was the comedic version. I played the role of "Porthos" the vain, womanizing musketeer. It was a hard role for me to play because as a married Christian man the thought of being a womanizer was against my beliefs. Luckily Hal had nothing to worry about because there were no kissing scenes or scenes in which my character swore. All I had to do was simply suggest lewd things. I was supposed to flirt with audience members for interaction (since it was a play in the round), but all I could bring myself to do was wink at girls in the audience. After the opening nights performance (while I walked home) I even had an oriental woman solicit me for a "message" not but a couple blocks from our apartment. It just goes to show you how Satan tries to influence us through whatever we are involved in.
Would I do another play? Yes, in a heartbeat. I really enjoyed learning more about myself and my abilities. It also gave Kara a chance to see me in another light that she hasn't seen before. It was hard being away from my wife three nights out of the week, but it was worth it and she wants me to do it again sometime. Things I learned are to not walk through windows when you should go out a door, always bring fake money so that you don't lose 85 cents when you pay the innkeeper for fake drinks you had, and always have a first aid kit on hand in the event that a cast member is injured by a prop (such as the hilt of a a sword made out of a cheap soup ladle). I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Pictures show:
-KJ and I after the Saturday Night performance.
-Our friend Brian holding a spear as part of audience participation.
-My fellow Musketeers
- Kara and the girls with Laura Kyonka holding a retractable fake knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment