Monday, May 23, 2011

First Grade Field Trip to the Zoo!










Last Tuesday the 17th I took my first grade class on a field trip to the zoo. I had 7 parents help with the supervision and it turned out to be a great day. When we first arrived we met up with the lady in charge at the zoo. She was easy to work with and led the students around the zoo. With each animal she would stop and feed it and while she was feeding it explain the animal and answer questions. The kids eyes were all excited because they love animals so much. The zoo is a very tiny zoo, but there was still lots to see. There was a leopard, lion, emu, turkeys, monkeys, fish, and fruit bats. One interesting story was there were ducks walking around the zoo and one of my little girls screamed bloody murder that there was a duck by her so for the rest of the field trip I was on duck patrol making sure it would not get close to her. The duck was so funny that it kept on following her and her scream. Poor girl. The kids' favorite area was the feeding area where they were able to feed guinea pigs and rabbits. I have never seen a guinea pig in a zoo before since I used to have one growing up, but it was super cute to see the kids running around trying to feed the animals carrots. From there they went into the main building and a guy from the Department of Natural Resources was there with a brown tree snake. Brown tree snakes are an invasive species in Saipan and they kill birds so if you find one here you need to capture and report it. The kids had so much fun learning about the snake and getting to touch it as well. The boys were so into the snake as they have loved the topic of snakes all year. From there the kids with my permission got to play at the playground there until it was time to go home. One quote from the day from a kid, "This was the best day ever." Another kid I asked what his favorite animal was and he said the cat. I asked if he meant the leopard and he said no the cat and I realized that the cat he was referring to was the kitty cat that was just walking around the zoo. How funny that we go to the zoo and his favorite animal was a regular old cat. Hahaha. The kids were very happy and I loved seeing them learn and experience the zoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment