Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spelunking in Saipan









Dear Friends, Family, and Readers:

This previous weekend I had fun spending my Sunday caving with some friends. We went caving at some caves found on Saipan along a narrow trail leading into the jungle just off of Banzai Cliff. This is not my first time caving as I did a more extensive stint with my high school physical science teacher Mr. Ford when I followed some of my peers into Adventure Scouts (an off shoot of the Boy Scouts of America). With Mr. Ford and fellow classmates I explored Spring Valley Caverns in Southern Minnesota. I have some pictures of that experience, but will not post any for this blog.
The experience caving this time was just as grueling as I remember and just as tight as we crept through places as tight as chest and back to the wall of the cave. We found some WWII artifacts and some artifacts which may have been more recent but we were unable to tell due to the rust that had eaten the majority of anything metal. When I entered one cave I somehow got poop on my hand and could not tell where it had come from, the mysterious beast, which chose not to identify itself will forever remain a conundrum. We spent about three hours in the two caves we explored. After exiting the caves we looked for sea turtles off of Banzai Cliff and I took a picture of a fisherman who was precariously standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean. When we had had enough of the cool breeze we got in the car and went back to Flame Tree Apartments (where our friends live) and jumped in the pool. Our wives joined in watching us swim. At the pool we decided it would be good to get some food so we went to one of our favorite restaurants Wild Bill's Bar and Grill for some grub. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

This is Grant signing off!

Pictures are of the following (but not in order):
- Brian M. pretending to eat an American made rusted grenade from inside the cave
-Brain M. giving the hang loose sign as Josh crawls through an opening.
-Tools (a wrench, batteries, an oil drum etc) found in the cave
-Josh and Brian at Banzai (didn't get the picture of Matt in there, sorry Matt)
-Kara and Rachel at Wild Bill's
-Crazy fisherman I saw off of Banzai.
-I also got a picture of Josh taking photos as our official extreme cave photographer. I hope to get a zip file from him of images he took of me and the other guys to post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment