Friday, April 1, 2011

Mandi Spa & Thoughts!






Hi Readers,
This spring break has just flown by so quickly and I am definitely not ready for monday to begin. I felt like a kid today when I counted down the days until school was out- 33 days to be exact. 33 days is such a short time and I just can't believe that my first year of teaching is almost over. I really enjoy my kids- even the naughty ones and their smiles everyday bring joy to my life.
Right now in Saipan it is supposed to be the dry season but this week has been the exception. It has been raining off and on for most of the week which means some of our outdoor plans were scratched and we had to be creative in what we have been doing. Friday and Saturday have been the rainiest days and so we have been hanging out, talking, and watching movies. Last night my friend Amy came over and we had a great time eating dinner, talking, and watching the movie The Social Network. It is an interesting movie and I enjoyed watching it.
So as far as the weather goes there are some days when it just rains so much you need to spend your day inside.
Thursday was an exception and it was a beautiful day on Saipan. Grant and I decided to spend the day at Mandi Spa and relax on our break. It is one of our favorite plaaces on the island, because it is quiet and beautiful. It is a place where you can talk if you want, sit in the different pools if you want, or do whatever you want. My favorite thing to do is to sit on the waters edge and read a book.
Grant and i had a wonderful time together and really enjoyed playing in the flower bath.
This week I have had a lot of time to think and I remember last year at this exact time wondering what would be our next step. We knew that our jobs at AOP was not where we wanted to be yet not knowing what the next place would be. This time last year we found out about Saipan through an email a coworker had given to us asking if we were interested in teaching in Saipan. We asked a ton of questions, had an interview, and eventually said yes. We did not know what Saipan would be like, if you would like it or not, and who we would meet on the way. Looking back I remember my first night here and how scared I was for the future and what Saipan would be like. I also remember how nervous I was about being in front of the class and now I could not be more comfortable up there. A lot has changed in this year and Saipan has brought Grant and I even closer together since we have had to go through the new experiences and challenges together. We miss our families dearly and there are those days when you just wish you could jump on a plane to get a real hug and conversation with your family, but we know that time goes quickly and the next year will fly by just as this one has.
As far as future plans, Grant and I are planning on being here until May 2012. I just found out this past week that I was accepted into the Masters of Counseling Program at Bethel University that I applied to. I had taken my MAT test before I left and we together visited Bethel in preparation for us leaving for Saipan. It was the only school i applied to and was the only school I wanted to go to. It was great news to know that I was highly qualified and wanted at this school. I do want to be a counselor someday and teaching this year has solidified it even more. I do love to teach, but my biggest complaint is not being able to take care of each child's needs and having 20-24 kids at a time. So I am getting excited about going back to school and being able to have the skills and education to pursue my dreams. Grant wants to go to seminary there at the same time as me and will apply next year. We will need a lot of prayers with the transition to moving to Minneapolis, finding jobs, and getting financial aid to go there.
We are also waiting on summer jobs right now. We had an interview for an Eco Camp this summer and the interview went well. We are currently just waiting to see what happens. So prayers in this area would be great, because Grant and I need to work this summer.
So this is a lot that is going on, but I am really pumped to teach again next year and to be more confident as a teacher since I will have had a year under my belt. We are also excited not to move. Grant has moved every year since graduating from college and I have moved a lot since college. Together this is the 3rd place we have lived and we are excited to not have to pack up. I am also excited about having more than 1 year on my resume since I have changed jobs 4 times since college. I am also starting to save up my money so we can go on one more big trip while we are here. I am pushing for Australia since I have been there before and would love to show Grant what it is like. I also would love to see my host mom again. I told myself when I left Sydney that I would be back and now is a great time since we are already halfway there. I am excited to be apart of our bible study group again next year. I also look forward to meeting new people next year and getting to help them adjust to the island as well. I also look forward to keeping the friendships I have and deepening them as well. So good things are on the way for us and just know that we think about our family and friends everyday!
Overall it has been an amazing break to be able to stay in saipan and get to spend a ton of time with Grant. We have been working since we arrived in August and spent Christmas break in Japan so it was nice to relax and go to our favorite spots and enjoy time together. It has been a wonderful wonderful break!
Love,
Kara
Here are some pictures from the spa!

No comments:

Post a Comment