Friday, April 22, 2011

Saipan Update from Grant






Dear Family, Friends, and Readers:
It has been, oh so many days since my last confession, so I have decided to write while my wife is taking a long shower. My exploits to be talked about are as follows: seeing the Japanese field hospital, seeing a bomb depot, San Juan Beach, our Saipan Community Art Show/Young Writers Showcase, and my rehearsal with the Friends of the Arts organization on Saipan for the up and coming production “The Three Musketeers (the comedic version).
Matt G. and I explored a WWII Japanese field hospital /grave site that a friend had told us about. The field hospital was on a guy’s property, but he didn’t seem to mind us going and exploring. It was hidden inside of a natural cave in the jungle. Inside the cave are some markers and plastic candle holders previously lit in their honor. There is also a marble block with writing in dedication to the site. Since it was in Japanese, we could not read it. The neatest thing at this site was the boonie bee nest that was hanging in a cleft of a rock above the cave, very cool indeed. The bomb depot was on private land and we went to find the owner but they were not there to ask permission, so we continued on the path because our friend who gave us directions said that the owner allows people to see it. On our way down this path we came across a little chicken coop with a pig pen. When arrived we noticed a sow pig that was easily 300+ Ibs with piglets! On our way back from the bomb depot we had a slightly intense standoff with the mother until the piglets went to another area (the pen they should have been in was broken). The cave that the bombs were hidden in was really slippery and had huge bombs, small bombs, and mines. It was pretty cool, but we didn’t have time to explore it because our wives needed the car to go to their Stamp It party. Earlier that day we went to San Juan Beach, which can be found by going past King Fisher Golf Course and taking a right turn when you get to a dead end at someone’s shack/house. The road is very dilapidated, but my Ford Contour was able to make it 75% of the way. It is very much like Old Man by the Sea, but quiet and less trashy.
The Art Show and Young Writer’s Workshop was very well done. The students are very talented and all of them worked very hard on their projects. Even though some poems had incorrect format, grammar, and spelling errors I’m glad to know that students are learning and exploring various aspects of the humanities. That night I left one hour early, with permission of my principal, to go and rehearse for the play. I play the character of Porthos (the womanizing musketeer) and I needed to learn some sword fighting choreography. The night was full of fun and by the end of all that had gone on I was very tired. I also owe a debt of thanks to my wife and co-worker Ms. Nierras for bringing my students projects/table to my room in my absence at the end of the night.
I hope to write again soon as it has been far too long. I also hope you enjoy the pictures some of which are on my facebook and others simply stored on my computer. Sincerely yours,
Grant

1 comment:

  1. you guys are adorable:) love following your adventures!

    http://synfullydelicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete