Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cliques & Forbidden Island Ponderings






Dear Friends, Family, and Readers:

It has been a while since I blogged about anything, so for this blog I decided to write about thoughts about blogs/workplace, Random Saipan realizations, and our recent visit to the outcropping of coral known as "Forbidden" on Saipan.
First, I wanted to share how I have been contemplating how in this "modern" age we are unable to truly communicate as believers in Christ. I was thinking about how many blogs are out there and how the purpose of a blog (in my opinion) is communication and how little actually is communicated through them sometimes. Partially for fear of others reading the blog and being offended or vice-versa... Unfortunately, I am going to be the type of writer who does not end this paragraph stating a "course of action" but will simply state my thoughts on the issues we face. At our school we need prayer in regard to relationships with other staffers. Don't get me wrong, we don't "hate" one another, but there is an awkward silence at times that leads me to believe in someway that my wife and I have offended others or that because we graduated from a different college or don't do Xterra races that we cannot be friends. In a world of technology people are still as jaded and the message of Christ is still not being followed... If we have an issue with others we should bring it up with them not sulk or be oddly silent on an issue. I haven't said much because I feel innocent or hurt. Being silent is like having a huge ship (our quiet concerns) floating through a set of locks in order to get to another body of water and to freedom. But that moment leading to freedom is awkward as the boat just sits in the lock, slowly moving along until free and the issue disappears entirely. All I can say is..."what now?" The one thing I will say about the lack of communication among our generation and our group of young people on the island is that even though our Bible study is covering how Satan "Twists" the truth, the truth is that we have been unable to see him sneaking in to our hearts. Any "cliques" or feelings of "hurt" come from people who are unable to reconcile (no matter how painful) the issues amongst their brothers and sisters. The "Greek" Adelphos (in the gospels) refers to other brothers/sisters of the faith. I will pray that others will forgive us our wrongs and that we could forgive others for any hurt they've caused us as Jesus commands us to pray.
Our trip to Forbidden Island was a lot of fun some of the pictures are from that trip. The island is "forbidden" because of local traditions, much of which I still do not know much about. One of the history books we bought does not tell us about why local Chamorro peoples do not visit it. I may buy another history book later when we have some more money that explains why it is forbidden in more detail.
It is now a bird and marine life sanctuary so no hunting or fishing is permitted within the vicinity of the island. It is a beautiful area but difficult to get to as the path down to sea level is rife with loose gravel and sand. On a rainy day it would not be safe to go down. We were fortunate to be able to go during a time when
it was windy (cooling us off) and during a time of high tide, which filled hidden forbidden (a small grotto) with cool water 7ft high. The trip was taken by myself, Kara, Matt, and Amy Grosenbach. It was a good workout and offered lots of climbing for those who enjoy climbing coral. A video is on our facebook for those who wish to see Kara and Matt jump off coral outcropping into a pool of water. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the blog.
Yours truly, Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment