Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 5 of our Guam Vacation

Dear Friends, Family, and Readers:

      It is now time to end my updates about Guam...Kara will probably write one blog of her own talking about the whole trip at a later time.  I really don't have a lot to say about this day and I will be uploading all the 400+ photos of our Guam trip for people to view on Facebook.  I wanted to blog and share a few pictures before I posted them on Facebook.
   Since we had to leave our hotel by noon, Kara and I got up early and drove to the Tumon Bay touristy area and stopped to swim at Governor Flores Beach.  I felt I owed it to her since we really didn't swim a whole lot while in Guam.  While we were there, Kara was bitten by a fish or cut by the fins.  The fish left three lines on her calf bleeding.  It was honestly more like a scratch, but being a prepared kind of guy I took out my little first aid kit and gave her scratch a cleaning and a band-aid.  She didn't really want to go in the water much after that...but went in one last time after some prodding. When it was my turn (had to watch our stuff), I saw a lot of fish where some tourists were feeding them bread.  Most of them I recognized from Saipan except for the spotted one, which I don't remember seeing in Saipan.  I hope you enjoy the underwater pictures.  This particular beach is fairly deep and is not full of super sharp coral like in Saipan.
     After swimming, we went back to the hotel to change, pack up, and check out.  That took a relatively short amount of time.  We then went shopping for some last minute things that Kara wanted to shop for like new running shoes since she has decided to run two 5k races in June, one Duluth, MN and one in Omaha, NE.  If you are a relative or friend and want to support her the race in Duluth is called the "Boulder Dash" and the one in Omaha is called "Run for Trails" and will take place in Gretna.  I also bought some on sale running shoes for the gym since I haven't bought new running shoes since I graduated college (no joke). That was about our priciest purchase but was still relatively inexpensive considering everything we bought was on sale.  We went to some other stores too, but had to hurry to eat before our plane took off from the airport.        
     We decided to rush and eat at McDonalds.  Unfortunately, when we got to the airport we learned that our tickets had been given to other people (we were still there early by 30+minutes)!  Kara was livid, but I was trying to be as calm as possible.  When I asked the luggage checker why this happened, he told me that when you have an "international flight" a person needs to be at the gate an hour before boarding the plane!  I couldn't believe it, the itinerary says, "Please be there an hour early" not "You must arrive an hour early or we will sell your ticket to earn more money for the airline."   In the end the airlines did right by us and put us on the next flight back to Saipan (four hours later).  I think the thing that frustrated me most was getting through the security check point and hearing the intercom say, "Now boarding for Saipan" and we could have been on our plane... In the end, we arrived in Saipan safe and sound albeit later than expected.
     I hope you enjoy the pictures!  Remember to click them for a larger image.

Kara happy to get the chance to swim at another
beach before leaving Guam.

A panoramic view of Governor Flores Beach as it pointing the
camera to the north. 

A picture I thought would look funnier than it is...the joke is
supposed to be that we are two lovers pointing toward Two
Lover's Point haha

Some cool fish that I've seen before in Saipan.  The skinny/pointy
nosed fish are Needle Nose Fish.  They are not dangerous but
do have a habit of encircling swimmers making them feel uneasy.

The strange spotted fish I had never seen in Saipan.

1 comment: