Thursday, July 21, 2011

SonQuest Rainforest














Hi Everyone,
This past week: July 11-15th was probably the craziest weeks of being in Saipan I have had. Before I go into the details, I did intentionally put myself into this situation and by God's grace I made it through the week. That week I did Marianas Trekking, tutoring, and Vacation Bible School for church. Basically I was with kids from 9am-9pm every night. There were a few times that I was getting tired and needed to keep the energy up, but with a few prayers God made it happen.
The theme of this years VBS was SonQuest Rainforest. The entire church was decorated as a rainforest which was really neat for the kids.The Verse of the Week was John 3:16. Every night there was a challenge to the kids with some examples being: Get God's Love, Get Praying, Get Going.
During VBS I was the 1st and 2nd Grade Guide which meant that I was in charge of my group and needed to make sure they got to all of their stations on time and watched over their well-being. The one station I did get to lead was the Memory Verse station and this is where I made sure it was creative and fun for them to learn the memory verses and some examples of what I did was to create actions for the verses, make a giant puzzle, or put each word on the back of each kid and have them put themselves in order.
The other stations were: games, snacks, story time, crafts, and music. The kids had a great time and at this age they got into the music part full on and it was great to see them be so excited to sing about Jesus.
The first night I had 16 kids and for the rest of the week I had around 33 kids. It was a crazy time but I loved having them all and I had helpers from Tues- on to help with all the kids.
I really enjoyed experiencing this time with these kids and getting to know their personalities. Each night was jam-packed of activities so it was hard to get to know them all really well, but there were a few moments with a few kids that were really special where I got to learn more about them. I also liked being available if they had any questions about Jesus.
One of the God moments for me was when the kids were singing the song "Following Jesus" They sang with so much heart and they were all into it! It made me tear up and just think about what an impact they can make for Christ since they have learned so much about Him at a young age.
It was really cute at the closing program when one of the kids asked if we were going to our classroom for more activities and I told him that the week was over but he still wanted more VBS! It was also sweet when some of the kids said that they would miss me. They were beyond adorable, loud, and crazy but it was a lot of fun.
So Yes, it was the craziest week ever, I definitely missed Grant a lot, but I was glad to help out the church and get to meet some wonderful kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment