Thursday, September 9, 2010

PICTURES






Here we are again; it is time for our 9th real blog since being on the island. Kara told you the basics of what happened Labor Day weekend but here are some new pictures to look at and some new random information. One picture is of a large toad that likes to hop up to the first landing on the stairs leading to our apartment, we have so named him “Fred.”
Here at SCS we have to put up with two driers that do not dry very well and so I had to become creative for my wife’s sanity. I went to ACE and decided to follow Red Green’s motto of, “If they don’t find you handsome they should at least find you handy.” I found some screws with closed circle ends and screwed them by hand into the wall. I then tied white marine thread to the circle ends and the other end around the closet beam in our spare bedroom. I created 5 of these lines and proceeded to hang all the clothes for my wife who was about to break down after trying to dry them twice. Needless to say I felt much accomplished and handy. The only thing lacking was duct tape.
Another picture is of a sign at the market that in my opinion symbolizes why English teachers are needed on this particular island and indeed the world at large. I hope you enjoy finding the grammatical error.
While my parents enjoyed going to the Minnesota State Fair this Labor Day Weekend, I felt I needed to experience something “state fair (ish)” but Saipan style. So, while at the market, I decided to try “Squid on a Stick.” I have had squid before while I was on a Fifield family trip to New York’s, China Town, but Squid on a stick is a little different than what I experienced in China Town. Needless to say it was salty, but there was a strange sweet/sour taste about this salty sea creature on a stick. If you every go to Saipan I recommend trying it at least once.
The final picture of this blog post is of counselors from another school that we met while attending church. We plan on hanging out and getting to know them all more this Saturday and possibly throughout the school year. The public schools are just now starting up on Saipan so many of them are returning to the island or like these counselors are new. Some of the teachers have lived in other Asian countries like China and Taiwan etc…and are very cultured and interesting to talk to. In Saipan, you only need a bachelor’s degree to become a counselor in the public school system and the bachelor’s degree does not have to be in psychology! So, if you have a bachelor’s degree and would like to counsel kids check out some of the public and private schools in Saipan. They also need many public high school teachers. The pay is good at about $30,000 a year or more depending on years of experience and future plans. Renting an apartment on the island only costs $300-500 depending on how ritzy you want to go, sometimes you can rent a house for that much.
I hope you enjoy the pictures and more information about Saipan! Have a good night, or rather good morning! Sincerely, Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment